Friday, January 28, 2011

Remembering My Dad

Growing up, I was totally daddy's girl. Even though I am much closer to my mom after I hit my 20s, to my dad, I am always his little girl. When I first moved to the States, no one could mentioned my name without making him teary eyed for having his girl so far away. 

Well, yesterday, was the 9th anniversary of the day my dad passed away. 9 years ago when I got that call that no one wants to get. My dad passed away from massive heart attack. My mom called me and I flew back home right away in a daze.

When I arrived, my brothers wouldn't leave my side, that I ended up wondering what's going on. Bless their heart, they were afraid I was going to faint and they want to be there to catch me. I'll never forget when they said that, because that simple act made me realize that my brothers would always be there for me. Without this strong bond of family love, I don't know how I'd have handle the whole thing. And I stayed with my mom for about 2 months. I needed to be close to her, to be at home.

I still miss my dad a lot. On our wedding day, I wish he was there. During the ceremony I chose the song "I Loved Her First" by Heartland to remember him and according to one of my friend, she noticed this soft misty sprinkles behind us during the song and it stop as the song stop. She felt it was as if my dad's way of acknowledging us and I did feel his presence in my heart strongly that day.

A few weeks ago, Tammy from A Day For Daisies offered the DT gals to make a sketch from our favorite pic. I know right away what pic I'd choose. I chose a pic of me and my little brother, Jerry, that's my mom and dad's favorite pic of us.


My li'l brother & me, about 4 & 5 years old.

When I see this pic, it reminds me so much of my dad. He always had this picture on his office desk. It reminds me what a great childhood I had, that I love my brothers tremendously, that I still keep my dad close to my heart, and how thankful I am for my mom. She helps me staying strong, always. I'd have fell apart without her guidance.

This sketch is a surprise for my mom and I can't thank Tammy enough for this beautiful sketch. I like to think that from UP there my dad is also smiling looking at this picture. This sketch come at just the right time. 9 years has passed, I still miss my dad, I still pray for him. When we were all together this past Christmas, he was definitely missed. We miss his big laughter, his hugs, his jokes, we simply miss him.

I want to mention that A Day For Daisies, is offering this "Custom Photo Stamp" starting today and THIS WEEK ONLY, when you buy a custom photo stamp design, you'll get a free 5$ coupon to use at the store! You can check out all the DT gals creations HERE.




Before, I leave, here's the song that I mentioned above. Have a great Friday everyone and don't forget to tell your love ones you love them every chance you get! :)

13 comments:

~amy~ said...

Oh Vera...what a heart felt post...my eyes are all welled up girl!!!!! LOVE the pic turned sketch..how neat is that?! Your Mom is going to LOVE it...you and your brother are such cuties!

stampingandstitching said...

Oh Vera, you have me all teary eyed too! Wonderful post. I love the adorable photo of you and your brother and knowing how much it means to you. Tammy's sketch is brilliant and I love how you have incorporated it into your gorgeous card! Your mom will love it I'm sure!

Handmade Creations by Stephanie said...

What a sweet card and I am so sorry for your lose what a heartfelt post Thank you for sharing!!!!

Libby O said...

Your post made me cry. I lost my father when I was 12 - also to a heart attack. My heart goes out to you. Thanks for sharing, I agree that family support means everything. Libby

Anita Rex said...

Vera what a beautiful post of your dad and your strong family love. Love that picture and love that you got a stamp of it! So cool and your mother will love it! :>

whoistracy said...

What a sweet card and a great way to remember your dad. A very touching post.

Alex said...

Beautiful photo turned beautiful sketch turned beautiful card!
So nice to read about the story behind the picture as well and you had me blinking away the tears ;-)
Love, Alex

Jay Gee said...

Vera I know your pain and you are lucky you have such a strong family bond. I love the photo and the sketch :)

Barb said...

What a beautiful tribute to you dad, Vera. I also lost my father to a heart attack when I was 17 years old. It's so wonderful to have family and friends for support and love. I adore the card you made! So cool to have that sketch! Sending you hugs, my friend!

Alice said...

sending you big big hugs, Vera. thanks for sharing your story. it touches me deeply. since i am so far away from my family too... you got me all teary eyed... =) love love the precious photo stamp. such a sweet way to preserve your memory. i love it!

Trinh said...

Awww, Vera, wish I could give you a hug right now. Your story brought tears to my eyes. I love the pic and that stamp is so special!

Brigida Alexandra Marcella said...

touching blog post... this makes me look back to myself and on how much love I have for people I care about I'm afraid to share. I live near them but I'm taken into my own world almost everyday. Hehehe...

By the way, it's a cute sketch of you and Jerry. It goes so lovely with the card. Wonderful and classy design of yours, as always =) Keep on designing!

PS. thanks for your comment on my blog =)

Dwita said...

Is it really your brother in that Dulux commercial? Wow, you really come from a wonderful happy family, Vera...

Just For Fun

Hi friends. This year, I definitely been making more cards for fun and not for assignment. I am making a conscious effort to use sets that I...